I want it to snow. Right now would be preferable. And I'd like it to stick. I'd like the roads to have feet and feet of snow piled in the middle of them, just waiting for the tractors to come and scoop it into dump trucks so that it can be driven to the river and dumped in.
I don't know of any place on earth that does things like that, other than the little town that I grew up in. Every year at Christmas time I just find myself wanting to go back there and have it be like it was when I was little. I want to drive down the snowy streets and look at the lights on the houses and watch the snow falling in the glowing light of the lamp posts. I just want to lay on the living room floor with all the lights out but the Christmas tree and bask in it's glow. I want to sled on the giant hills of snow that my dad made for us out in the pasture with his loader. I want to drive home from my Grandma's on Christmas Eve searching the sky for Santa. And then I want to fall asleep looking out my frost covered window at the Christmas lights that hang outside.
Having little kids only makes this nostalgia that I experience every year come on even stronger. When I watch how excited they are to make Christmas cookies and watch the same Christmas shows that I watched, how they keep asking when we're putting up the tree and how rosy cheeked with excitement they get when they talk about gifts that they want to get for their Daddy, it makes me so excited that my heart almost hurts. It's like I get to experience it all over again, but with a much different perspective.
It really is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.
1 comment:
I know what you mean! It was in the mid to upper 70s today. I'm depressed.
Post a Comment