I'm sure that soon many blogs will have, if they don't already, posts about the true meaning of Christmas. Or posts of frantic shopping expeditions or much loved traditions. Or even posts about how much their authors hate this time of year. Even careful avoidance of the subject of Christmas will be like and elephant in the room, leaving readers to wonder about the author's stance on the whole holiday. The entire spectrum will, undoubtedly, be covered.
My first instinct is to shy away from this as I feel inadequacy well up inside of me. How can I ever put into words what I feel in my heart? I have never been accused of writing eloquently. So instead of trying to be witty and charming, I will simply write what I know to be true.
Since having children, I feel that I can understand my Heavenly Father's love for me much more clearly. There is nothing that I wouldn't do for my children. All I want is for them to be happy. I would give my life for them. And in a way, I do. Everyday. Almost all of my time is spent caring for them, helping them to grow and be happy. And the rest of my time is spent in worrying how they're growing and if they are happy. If I feel this way about my children, I can better understand how my Father in Heaven feels about me. When my children argue or fight, I can better understand how my Father in Heaven feels when two, who think they are strangers, wrong one another. And my heart breaks a little. When I feel my heart swell with pride when one of my children accomplishes a new task, when they reach a new goal all their own, I better understand how much my Father in Heaven wants me to be all that I can. To be the happiest that I possibly can be. And I can better understand just how much He is willing to do to make my happiness and growth a possibility. So it's not hard for me to understand why My Father in Heaven would send His Son. And while I can't even begin to fathom what it would be like to let one of my children serve as a sacrifice so that all may be saved, I do understand the lengths that I would be willing to go to so that all of my children might have all of the happiness that I could possibly give to them.I don't doubt His existence.
I don't doubt His love for me. I do doubt myself, and my ability to do my part. That is why I love this time of year. It renews my resolve to dig a little deeper. To work a little harder. To be a little more. And it helps me to remember that there is One who is doing all that He can to help me do my part. Who was willing to give all, so that I might have all