Saturday, November 12, 2005

Picky Eaters and the Not-So-Picky Ones

My 4 year old son is a picky eater. The list of things that he won't eat is too long to mention. His reasons for not eating most of the things that he doesn't like are really quite funny. Like last night, for example. I bought a pizza for dinner. He'll only eat pizza from one place, and only one kind of pizza from that one place. So I of course, being the good mother that I am, buy that exact kind of pizza. He picked it up and started to take his first bite, but quickly returned the pizza to his plate. "Why didn't you take a bite of your pizza?" I ask. "Because, mom, my pizza sounds funny!" He replies. "Your pizza sounds funny?" I say. "Yeah, and there's no way I'm eating pizza that sounds like that."

Good Grief.

My 2 year old daughter, on the other hand, will eat almost anything. Like plant dirt, for example. She's also been known to open the fridge just to get out a bottle of my husband's hot sauce so that she can drink it straight from the bottle. And today she made a tortilla chip and fruit loop sandwich for herself. With remarkable speed, I might add. I had just come back into the kitchen from changing the baby, and there she was, munching away on a piece of bread that she had put tortilla chips and fruit loops in the middle of before she folded it over and smashed it all together. She ate the whole thing, and then asked for another one.

Yummy.